Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wacky Wednesday

If you are looking for something inexpensive to do when you are stuck inside due to the weather or other circumstances, try having a Wacky Wednesday, Tricky Tuesday, or Freaky Friday……


Wacky Wednesday

Here are some ideas that I did for my 4yr old son on our 1st Wacky Wednesday, this will take some planning and work on your part and I'm sure I will come up with more wacky ideas in our future Wacky Wednesday days….

My husband made a banner out of rolled art paper that read "Welcome 2 Wacky Wendesday" and no that's not a typo, if your child can read see if they realize that the "N" and "D" have been switched and that the #2 replaced the word "to".

Have a Wacky Search:

Place random things around the house in the wrong place. We have a lazy susan on our kitchen table that has a silverware holder on it, we replaced the knives with left over candy canes from Christmas. We also arranged the blinds at different levels or you could drop one side of the blind making them uneven. We flipped pictures over, unscrewed lamp shades and then screwed them back on upside down, we put chairs on the table, placed odd objects in different locations (Halloween pez dispenser in a plant) - I think you get the idea.

We also snuck into his room after he fell asleep and turned stuffed animals upside down, put toys on the ceiling fan, and hung a shoe on the wall (you can use the new 3M adhesives that have a pull tab which will come right off without pulling paint with it).

Some food ideas:

For breakfast, I bought the waffle ice cream bowls and then filled it with vanilla ice cream and topped it with cereal. The ice cream replaces the milk of course and then I had him eat it with a fork!! I gave him his drink in a Christmas cup and when I handed it to him I said "Merry Christmas".

For lunch, I made him an inside/out PB&J (peanut butter and jelly on top of the bread) and served it with crazy chips (potato chips with chocolate chips and dried cranberries). In his drink I used a Halloween straw and said "Happy Halloween"

For dinner, I made breakfast (scrambled eggs) and served it in a small pot. Another idea is that you could start with dessert then eat dinner. When I served him his dinner I said "Good Morning".

Dress up/Clothing ideas:

I decided that since it was winter time that I would dress him in an Hawaiian shirt (with a long sleeve under it of course), then we put on mismatched socks and turned his stocking hat inside out. I didn't go overboard because he was going to preschool and I didn't want it to disrupt the class. But pretty much any crazy outfit would work.

Activities:

Besides doing the search, you could tape pieces of paper under chairs or tables then they have to lie down on the floor and draw a wacky picture. I did this but to make it more fun, we played the hot/cold game for him to find the pieces of paper. I also had him walk into his classroom backward. You could try to sing instead of talking too.

Nighttime:

If your child takes a bath or shower have them wear a sock or underwear, just as in the Dr.Seuss book Wacky Wednesday. Finish the day off with reading the book to your child and talking about the wacky things he did that day.

In addition:

These ideas can easily be used for a birthday party (Wacky Weekend - great for sleep-over's), for more birthday party ideas check out the book Parties Kids Love.

Teachers could use them at school for spelling and awareness activities or just to have some fun in the middle of the week.

The best part is that the cost is very little if any at all. Have a VERY WACKY WEDNESDAY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment